Credit for Prior Learning
Get Academic Credit for Your Life Experience
Students enter college with a variety of different skill sets and experiences, which may count toward college-level credit. Sierra College wants to recognize your knowledge by applying it toward a degree or certificate.
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) is college credit awarded for skills and knowledge you’ve acquired outside of the classroom. Examples of prior learning include:
- Military training
- State/federal government training
- Apprenticeships, internships, certifications, licenses, and other industry training
- Validated volunteer and civic activities (ex. Peace Corps)
- Standardized examinations (ex. AP, CLEP, IB, DSST, DLPT)
- Credit by examination
Use this form to request Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) for portfolio, industry certification, apprenticeship/internship, validated activities, other training, or requesting credit by exam.
The Benefits of CPL
Earning college credit through CPL can help you:
- Save time and money. You can shorten the amount of time to obtain your degree or certificate and, therefore, lower the cost of tuition.
- Accelerate your academic progress. You can take higher level courses sooner while increasing your motivation towards graduation.
- Honor and appreciate the different ways you learn throughout life. Taking the opportunity to validate your knowledge increases self-confidence and self-esteem.
Frequently Asked Questions
Earn College Credit Through CPL
Get in Touch
Admissions and Records — Nevada County
Admissions and Records — Tahoe-Truckee