Borrow Library Materials
How to Borrow Library Materials
Library materials can be checked out at the Circulation Desk at one of the Sierra College libraries on the Rocklin, Nevada County Campus and Tahoe-Truckee campuses using your Sierra College student ID card. View details below on how to get a student ID card. Library materials can also be accessed via Interlibrary Loan, which allows you to borrow books and articles from libraries outside of Sierra College.
- General collection books circulate for three weeks and can be renewed twice.
- Reserve materials are usually circulated on an hourly or overnight basis with limited renewal.
Fines and Holds
There are no late fines on general collection books as long as they are returned before being considered lost. General books are considered lost after being 30 days overdue. Replacement costs consist of the full price of the book and a $5 processing fee.
Reserve material fines are 50 cents per hour per item with a maximum fine of $20 per item. If the reserve book is not returned in two weeks, the library has the right to charge the full price of the book. A $20 processing fee will be added to the price of the book if the book is lost.
For equipment loaned for specific classes and departments, individual fines and replacement fees apply as defined by the academic department whom the equipment belongs.
Fine payments made at the Cahier’s Office will NOT automatically remove a hold from your account. You must call Rocklin Campus Library or go to the Learning Resource Center (Library) circulation desk to verify payment has been made. (If you have a hold from a department other than the Learning Resource Center, you will need to contact that department individually.)
The replacement fee (cost of the book) is charged for lost materials, as well as a non-refundable processing fee ($5 per item for general books and $20 per item for reserve books).
Student ID/Library Card
Your student ID card can be used as your library card. Student IDs are issued to currently enrolled students in the Library (2nd floor Circulation Desk) at Rocklin or at Admissions and Records at NCC or Tahoe-Truckee. You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card. There is a 10 book limit and a maximum of four books on the same subject.
How and Where to Get a Student ID Card
To get your student ID card, follow the steps below:
- Register for classes. You will be eligible to receive your free Student ID Card after you enroll in classes.
- During business hours, bring a valid form of ID, like your driver’s license or passport, to:
Rocklin Campus: Library (Circulation Desk)
Nevada County Campus: Admissions and Records Office
Tahoe-Truckee: Admissions and Records Office
- Ask to have your picture taken and you will receive your Student ID.
ASSC Activity Sticker
The ASSC Activity Sticker allows you to take advantage of many discounts for only $10 a semester. Visit the ASSC page to learn more.
Friends of the Library/Alumni Card
Members of the community are invited to join the Sierra College Friends of the Library. Annual membership dues entitle Friends of the Library to receive a library card and use library services on the Rocklin campus.
Sierra College alumni can get a library card with a Gold or Platinum membership in the Sierra College Alumni Association.
Friends of the Library and Alumni card holders may:
- Check out three items at a time.
- Request interlibrary loans that will be charged at the cost to Sierra College Library with a minimum fee of $5 per item.
- Use the on-site databases at the Rocklin Campus Sierra College library. JSTOR does offer some access for individuals through their Early Journal Content, Register & Read and JPASS programs. Note: Off-campus access to the library’s subscription databases is not available with these library cards.